CWVS Frequently Asked Questions

This page provides answers to the questions usually asked about our Contingent Workers Volunteer Scheme (CWVS).

Am I entitled to the National Minimum Wage?

Crocels Community Media Group has an open membership policy – people only get involved when they have something to offer. To make this simple to administrate we only involve people who are not eligible for the National Minimum Wage, such as volunteers, or sub-contractors.

Can I get expenses even if I don’t incur any?

The CWVS is a type of work experience. You do not get expenses as an employee would even if they did not incur them. We can only pay for out-of-pocket expenses. For more information, please read our expenses policy.

Can I get perks, like childcare vouchers?

People who claim ‘payment in kind’ are eligible for the National Minimum Wage, so it is not possible for any contingent worker to have payment in kind. When we apply for grants, we usually count people on the CWVS as ‘payment in kind’ in terms of our income and expenditure, but this is specific to the volunteering role and not the person who carries it out.

Will I be given work following my participation in the CWVS?

Many people who take part on the CWVS go on to become contracted contingent workers. But even in this case, there is no guarantee of work, even if you do have a contract. We usually pick the best person for the job who is able to offer the best fixed price and therefore best overall value. Experience you gain on the CWVS will give us a good idea of the work you are best suited to should you want to apply for work as a contracted contingent worker.

Expenses for Volunteers

Crocels Community Media Group understands that some volunteers are at a particular disadvantage in accessing our Contingent Working Volunteer Scheme (CWVS).

On projects with the appropriate grant aid, or where an appropriate surplus exists we can considering providing the following expenses according to guidance drawn up by the UK Government (i.e. HMRC, DWP):

  • A bus or train fare for you to get to or from your CWVS
  • The cost of somewhere to stay if you have to be away from home overnight because of your participation in the CWVS
  • The cost of your meals while you are taking part in the CWVS
  • The cost of any special clothing or equipment that you need to participate in the CWVS
  • The cost of some care expenses in certain cases to enable you to take part in the CWVS.

If you receive any of these expenses whilst you are on state aid schemes (like Jobseekers Allowance, or other government out-of-work state aid schemes) you must keep your own records and tell your local Jobcentre Plus centre.